Rishon Le’Zion is the fourth largest town in Israel (258,000 residents) and a major urban center in the southern part of the Tel Aviv metropolitan area. It was founded as an agricultural settlement in 1882 by immigrants who arrived in the first wave of Jewish immigration (the First Aliyah). In 1950 it became a town and continued to grow north and west throughout the century. In recent decades, economic activity in Rishon Le’Zion has expanded with the development of industry, commerce and entertainment and culture venues such as the Agam Museum. In addition, two national communication groups – Yediot Aharonot and Globes – have moved their headquarters to the town.
Some national traffic axes cross Rishon Le’Zion: road 4 (Geha Road, road 20 (Ayalon Freeway), and road 431 (Rishon Le’Zion-Modi’in Road) that also connects the town to road 6 (the Trans-Israel Highway). To stations of the Israel Rail operate in Rishon Le’Zion: Moshe Dayan Station, on road 20, and Ha’Rishonim Station on road 431.
The Green Line of the Light Rail will connect the town to Tel Aviv and Herzliya via Holon and stop at four stations. The last of these stations will serve as the terminal for the line. The M1 Line of the Metro will also pass through the town.